To protect us from the evil designs of conspiring men, we are invited to receive by exercise of our agency alone, and not by constraint, the following counsels and attendant covenant promises:
Seven Counsels and Seven Promises
- Abstain from strong drink (wine, whiskey, and other alcoholic drinks); rather, use these only for the washing of the body.
- Tobacco is not for the body, neither for the belly, and is not good for man, but is an herb for bruises and all sick cattle, to be used with judgment and skill.
- Hot drinks (coffee and black tea) are not for the body or belly.
- All wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit, whether from the tree or from the vine that yieldeth fruit in the ground or above the ground; each are to be freely enjoyed in their own due seasons when the nutrients needed most at that time are provided.
- The Lord ordained the beasts and of the fowls of the air for the use of man for both food and raiment; however, they are to be eaten sparingly and with thanksgiving; and it is pleasing to God if they are used only in times of winter, cold, or famine.
- All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life (to support energy needs) and to also be used to make mild drinks (barley tea, rejuvelac, and so forth).
- If you will keep and do these six sayings, and if you will keep God’s commandments, by covenant you are promised to become the recipient of the seven extraordinary promises.
Let’s review the covenant promises that are conditioned upon obedience to the above counsels:
- Health in the Navel: Health in the navel is symbolic of both giving and receiving of nourishment, and is a promise of physical and spiritual nourishment. It is a reminder of God's covenant promise to "Repentant Israel," that food and clothing will never depart from their homes. Health in the navel is symbolic of the promise of posterity and of the total dependence an infant has upon receiving nourishment from its' mother and is a shadow and type of God's umbilical nourishing connection that he covenants will not depart from us as we repent of our sins, obey his voice, and keep his commandments.
- Marrow in the Bones: Marrow is a source of ever-renewing health, strength, and protection from threats to our bodies. It is a type of a greater spiritual promise. Just as renewing and protecting strength of marrow is centered in the innermost part of the body, so too, as the Holy Ghost abides in us our spiritual health is continually renewed and we are thereby protected from darkness as we walk in the straight and narrow path.
- You Shall Find Wisdom: The obedient to God’s counsels receive the baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost, who is the source of all wisdom. Such will counsel together in wisdom, and their counsels will stand and not fail (covenant blessing). By comparison, all who fail to walk in obedience, will not retain the companionship of the Holy Ghost. These too will counsel together, but their counsels shall not stand, but will fail. They will not prevail over their enemies but will be led into captivity, or they will be destroyed (covenant curses).
- You Shall Find Great Treasures of Knowledge, even Hidden Treasures: This foretells of knowledge that will assist you in your vocation or walk in life, which is also a type of things spritual. As we act in obedience to God, we are led to grow in knowledge of his ways with man, which are unchanging from generation to generation. This redeeming knowledge enables us to overcome all that is false (unbeliefs) concerning the ways of truth and righteousness, until we rend the veil of "unbelief" and enter into the Lord’s presence. And after we shall rend our veil of "unbelief" we shall then be brought to behold great and marvelous things which have been “hidden up” since the foundation of the world.
- You Shall Run and not be Weary: The obedient will be able to run without becoming weary; yet, this physical blessing is also a type and promise that the obedient will receive the quickening power and influence of the Holy Ghost to enable them to do all things they are called upon to do by the Lord, without becoming weary of mind, heart, or body. Thus, as they seek to magnifiy that which they are called to do, they are brought to lay claim upon the promised blessing of having their bodies and strength renewed continually.
- You Shall Walk and not Faint: While this is a physical promise, it is also a promise that whosoever with do the Lord’s will may ask and receive whatsoever is needed to accomplish that which they are commanded to do. This great promise assures us that as we earnestly strive to fulfill that which we are to do, we will not grow faint of heart or mind, or lose hope and stumble or fall in our journey, but we will receive sufficient wherewith to press forward with hope unto the end of our mortal lives.
- The Destroying Angel Shall Pass By You, as the Children of Israel, and not Slay You: The obedient are protected from sickness and harm; and in the Lord's “Great Day” that has been prophesied since the beginning of the world, the obedient, or repentant in Israel, will be protected from the destruction that will befall the wicked when the Lord will divide the wicked from the righteous, even if it must be by fire that the righteous are protected.
The great purpose of God’s counsels to us regarding his laws of health are that our bodies may be made fit tablernacles wherein his Spirit may dwell, which will assist us in our path to be made his heirs. While he desires that we enjoy good health, his aim is to help us become his heirs, not simply to be healthy. Of the seven counsels given by him, six enable the mortal tabernacle to be a fit dwelling place for his Spirit. The seventh counsel, to keep his commandments, is known throughout holy writ as the qualifier to receive God’s Spirit. Ponder deeply upon all that the Holy Ghost “is”.
- He is the record of heaven (This is a knowledge of all things past present and future. How useful might the record of heaven be to you as you fulfill your purposes?);
- He is also the Comforter (He gives us to know when we are in the right path and also comforts us in times of distress.);
- He the peaceable things of immortal glory (This means that he teaches us how to walk justly and thereby after the manner of peace one with another.);
- He is the truth of all things (He enables us to know truth from that which is untrue and helps us to overcome our unbeliefs or rather all that we believe to be true that is false.);
- He is that which quickeneth all things (He can strengthen and renew us from head to foot, even insomuch that we can do all things the Lord asks us to do);
- He is that which maketh alive all things (By the Lord’s Spirit alone we breathe from one moment to the next, and by him even that which is dead may be made alive.);
- He is that which knoweth all things (As he abides in us we can lay hold upon temporal and redeeming knowledge, as needed, to do the Lord’s will in our lives.);
- He hath all power (He gives his power to us proportionate to our righteousness, need, and to the faith we exercise unto acting in obedience to his voice.);
The Savior’s counsels on physical health and obedience to his commandments are given that we may be made recipients of all that he is according to God’s wisdom, mercy, truth, justice, and judgement concerning that which we are worthy, willing, and able to receive of him. Ponder these counsels and promises carefully and consider the great blessings that are reserved for all who will do the minimums God asks in order that your body may be made a house wherein the Holy Ghost may dwell. Dietary extremes can never quicken you to the extent you will be quickened if you do these sayings and also keep God's commandments.
Consider also the 12 Spiritual Laws which lend the enabling power to Keep God's Commandments and to thereby lay hold upon promised blessings. Herein lies the secret for the weak and strong: