Inexpensive Water Filtration and How Much Water Should You Really Drink?

How Much Pure Water Do I Need?

Insufficient hydration, as well as too much hydration cause problems. For example, too much water may inhibit the kidneys from keeping the overall amount of water in your system at a safe level and may also cause an imbalance between the electrolytes in your blood (through dilution) and the electrolytes in your cells, causing your cells to swell.

Every cell, tissue, organ, and system in your body is affected for good or bad based upon your ability to hydrate properly. Extremes either way are unhealthful. So how much water do we need to best support balance? This answer varies for each of us from day-to-day and depends upon diet, exercise, and enviroment. Is it hot and do you sweat a lot? Is it cold? What kinds of foods do you eat, and so forth?

Foods that are naturally rich in water, such as fruits, vegetables, cooked grains, legumes, and water-based soups often lead to the lack of need to drink any additional water at all. Similarly, if you use little to no salt and seasonings, your requirement for water intake decreases, while the more seasonings you use, the more water you will need, up to several glasses per day. For example, every gram of salt you use requires 90 grams of water intake in order to maintain certain balances within. Seasonings and sweeteners produce similar effects.

By far the best guide is a reliable thirst drive. While this drive is often compromised by today’s average American diet, as you improve your diet your thirst drive will become less desensityzed and more reliable. Thus, you will begin to respond according to your God-given instinct to drink water, the same instinct that has led man and animals to know when to drink for eons of time.

I recommend three things to consider that will likely insure proper hydration for you: 

1. Improve your dietary intake to include the dietary recommendations outlined within the 12 Steps to Wholeness and/or our recommended Simple Eating Pattern
  2. As you improve dietary intake, overcome the bad habit of putting food in your mouth when your body is really calling for water. Become aware of the difference and develop a dependable sense of thirst. 
  3. Satisfy additional thirst with glasses of pure water, herbal teas, fresh vegetable and fruit juices, or healing broths.

Where does this leave us with regard to the sound USDA hydration guidelines. They are guidelines which can help us become more aware. They are also based upon the average American dietary intake, which does not include the recommendations within our 12 Steps to Wholeness program, which may enable you to hydrate sufficiently with just the foods you eat. 

Remember always that animals and people, since the beginning of the world, could rely on a dependable sense of thirst as they ate whole foods from God's garden. It has only been since 1909 that we began to develop seriously compromised eating habits that have caused our sense of thirst to also become compromised.  

As you consider the need to drink pure water, seek to separate marketing and advertising literature from actual science, such as peer-reviewed, published studies in leading science journals. These are as freely available to you as is all the marketing and advertising information. Information that is coming from any source that is in anyway related to selling the product recommended, should not be relied on as being accurate unless it can be verified from an independent, non-commercial source as mentioned.

Today I received a promotion for a very expensive water treatment unit, which included in its marketing the suggestion that as you purify your water by removing minerals, the resulting demineralized water will cause mineral leaching from body tissues and bones and that after filtering the water you need to remineralize it before drinking it. This is simply untrue, unproven, and is now common rhetoric among almost all who promote the sale of water treatment units. While the unit itself filters water well, the advertising promotes or seeks to build a need for the very expensive unit based on that which is simply untrue.

Because in fact, water science instructs that water is a carrier molecule and is used by the body to transport chemicals, but it in and of itself does not "leach" chemicals from within the body. A complete water molecule of pure water is balanced, without any extra charges that would otherwise "attract or leach” minerals from the tissues and bones.

Please enable yourself and your friends with scientific facts and then weigh benefits and costs agaisnt your current situation and true need. 

Inexpensive High-Quality Filters

Recently Colleen helped our neighbors put together inexpensive water-treatment kits for emergency preparedness. Each unit, fully assembled, cost only about $60 and extra replacement filters, each of which will purify 5000 gallons of water, cost less than $30 each, and a lot less if you buy several as a group. If you would like to do something like this in your area, take a look at the following two companies that offer high-quality filters for very little money. Call them and get them for even less by helping your whole neighborhood to do this!

Enjoy pure water today and be prepared for emergencies that you may face tomorrow. Click on any of these links: Get Prepared StuffMonolithic Water, or Just Water, to obtain high-quality filters for very low costs.

Best,
Jim and Colleen 

Be the First of Your Friends to "Share, Twitter, or Like" this Helpful Article!

Views: 925

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess in an emergency the key thing is clean water, but I'm curious to know, for regular use, are you concerned at all about the plastic buckets?

Kristen, the plastic buckets, like plastic water bottles make me a little nervous, but these water filters can be used on any type of container. A little imagination down at Home Depot should result in a solution that perhaps your handyman Ken can share with us:) I'll bet it wouldn't even be too hard to put together a nice countertop, under counter, or inline model that uses these high-tech water filters! And even if you were to filter through the plastic buckets, you can easily move the water from there into large glass gallon containers that can go in the refrigerator. Just consider all the liquids you drink today that are now stored in plastic containers! We have a lot of room for improvement. Meanwhile, these filters are exceptional and affordable solutions for purifying water for almost any budget. I want to see what you and Ken come up with!

Do these filters take out Flouride out of water?

I have been filling up BPA free plastic bottles of reverse osmosis water... do you think that these carbon filters are superior?

I noticed on the monolithic website that they have an under-the-counter model for just $100 dollars. I ought to add also, that I am not opposed to any of the whiz-bang units that ionize, alkalize, and filter. However, it is important to know what is sufficient when it comes to spending our limited resources of money.

Kristen said:

I guess in an emergency the key thing is clean water, but I'm curious to know, for regular use, are you concerned at all about the plastic buckets?

Good question! 

Ceramic and activated charcoal/carbon filters do not remove or absorb fluoride from the water. The options available to remove fluoride are reverse osmosis, distillation, and running the water through an activated alumina medium, which also removes arsenic. I've seen kits for such filters that include filter, sock, and a few other things for about $35.  Get Prepared Stuff, doesn't have them now, but has ordered them in the past and will again for group buys. Homespun Environmental Water also offers them and will also accommodate group purchases for as few as 15 people. I believe the same filter that filters fluoride, will also filter arsenic, and nitrates, because of the activated alumina media. 

Bethany Swalberg said:

I have been filling up BPA free plastic bottles of reverse osmosis water... do you think that these carbon filters are superior?

And no, I do not believe these filters are superior; rather, these are very adequate filters to meet most needs for water. The far more expensive units I was referring to in this article are priced out of many people's range. The intent of this article is not to question the soundness of such systems, but to offer inexpensive options that are also sound. 

James Simmons said:

Good question! 

Ceramic and activated charcoal/carbon filters do not remove or absorb fluoride from the water. The options available to remove fluoride are reverse osmosis, distillation, and running the water through an activated alumina medium, which also removes arsenic. I've seen kits for such filters that include filter, sock, and a few other things for about $35.  Get Prepared Stuff, doesn't have them now, but has ordered them in the past and will again for group buys. Homespun Environmental Water also offers them and will also accommodate group purchases for as few as 15 people. I believe the same filter that filters fluoride, will also filter arsenic, and nitrates, because of the activated alumina media. 

Bethany Swalberg said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Forum

Healthful Drinks

Fun and healthful ways to hydrate.

25 discussions

Raw Food Bowls

Quick and Easy All Raw Dishes

16 discussions

Cooked Food Bowls

Share your favorite cooked food bowl dishes.

18 discussions

Cooked and Raw Bowls

13 discussions

Videos

• Add Videos

Latest Activity

Profile IconRay W Graham and Christy joined Original Fast Foods
Dec 10, 2021
Profile IconWendy Allred and Vezzani joined Original Fast Foods
Oct 29, 2021
Julia Hockner updated their profile
Sep 28, 2021